John McCulloch (1635-1689) was a burgess merchant in Stirling, dean of the burgess guild, provost of the city, and eventually a member of the Scottish Parliament. Yet, Provost McCulloch is most remembered for his grand monument, the largest in the St John Street, Church Of The Holy Rude in Stirling. The monument is often called the Sconce Stone because it was designed by his son in law, John Sconce. John was the first of his family in Stirling. He appears to have been the son of Robert McCulloch of Drummorrell. Another son of Robert, Alexander McCulloch of Drummorrell, also served in the Scottish Parliament.
Enjoy this short clip about the Sconce Stone presented by the Stirling Council – Old Town Cemetary: